If you follow me on Instagram, you know I have been BBQ’ing it up since Tracy delivered a new BBQ to us a few weeks ago. I was so excited to finally have a critter free BBQ again that I started BBQ’ing that day and haven’t stopped since. Did I mention the BBQ she delivered is actually bigger, which means more room for all the meat and veggies!! I’ve been dying to make some chicken skewers and I finally got my chance! You’re also getting a bonus recipe today! Paired with these skewers is a light Greek Lentil Salad perfect for Spring and Summer!
Can I also mention these honey glazed chicken skewers are a huge hit with my kids!? They each ate two skewers and I had to make them stop! Anytime my kids devour protein I get pretty excited. Take a look at these cuties!
Basically you’ll just throw your chicken in a bag with the marinade for a couple hours, jab them onto the skewers, and then cook them. It’s quite simple and a just a lot more fun for everyone to eat this delicious chicken off a stick.
Once you get your chicken marinating you’ll want to cook your lentils. Truthfully, this is the first time I’ve ever made lentils. I’ve made this Greek salad recipe with couscous several times, but I went with lentils today because they’re packed with much more protein and fiber. I’m pretty sure any variety of lentils will work, but here’s a look at the ones I grabbed from the grocery store to use. I just cooked them according to the directions on the back of the bag.
Macros for the lentil salad: 1/2 cup (105 grams) = 7.8g protein, 11.9 grams carbohydrates, 1.3 grams fat & 4.5 grams FIBER!!
- 6 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken thighs and legs (3pkgs. Kirkland) cut into 1inch cubes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coco aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 pineapple juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 medium cucumber finely chopped
- 1 10oz. container grape tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 chopped, red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (or whatever colors you prefer)
- 1 6oz. container fat free feta cheese (Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 can artichoke hearts (in water!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Basil (or fresh chopped basil!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Place chicken in ziplock bag with all remaining ingredients. Let the chicken marinade at least 2 hours.
- You may want to set aside a little extra marinade for glazing later, or you can always make more.
- Pre soak skewers in water (so they don't catch fire on the grill!) and thread skewers with chicken.
- Throw on greased BBQ (we rubbed ours down with olive oil on a paper towel) for about 5-8 minutes on each side.
- The last few minutes of cook time brush the skewers with any remaining glaze.
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate once it's complete.
Macros for Greek Lentil Salad: Serving size: 1/2 cup (105 grams) Calories per serving: 91 Fat per serving: 1.3 Carbs per serving: 11.9 Protein per serving: 7.8
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.6||8.6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.5||2.2%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Stay Fit Mom
Follow us on Pinterest for more great recipe suggestions! We love seeing Stay Fit Mom recipes in your kitchen! Post your meals to Instagram and be sure to tag @stayfitmom_Krista and @stayfitmom_Tracy!
You might also like this recipe: